Position posted on September 13, 2022
Job Title: Child Learning Specialist
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Starting Salary Range: $15-19/hour
Reports To: Child Learning Supervisor
*Hiring bonus available for this position
The Child Learning Specialist will be responsible for helping to create and carry out lesson plans and activities for the children of parent participants of the Learning Community Center of North Omaha. This position will interact with children using art, music, reading time, and educational activities.
Essential Job Duties
- Responsible for the direct care, supervision, and well-being of children in the center while implementing age-appropriate activities using art, music, reading, and other educational activities.
- Displays effective communications skills, oral and written.
- Demonstrates a continuous commitment to customer service by maintaining a positive attitude, desire to learn and do the best job possible, empathy, self-awareness and integrity.
- Generates innovative ideas and alternatives to work assignments. Demonstrates ability to be flexible and adaptable to changing work conditions and/or project requirements.
Program Planning, Development, Implementation and Evaluation
- Responsible for the creation and implementation of curriculum to be used during childcare opportunities.
- Monitor classroom areas to ensure the safety and wellbeing of all participants, providing a positive environment.
- Ensures childcare rooms and toys are neat, clean, orderly and free of all safety impediments.
- Exemplifies and always maintains appropriate behavior for participants, actively listens to all children and parents and shows patience. Creates an environment of cooperation and friendliness.
- Provide excellent customer service to both internal and external customers.
- Records daily attendance and maintains accurate and complete records.
- Ensures supplies are well maintained and readily available.
- Active participation in staff meetings.
- Continuously evaluates and shares the needs and effectiveness of the child learning programs with Program Manger.
- Responds to parent and program manager feedback as needed to maximize effectiveness.
- Consistently follows through with commitments, provides service/information Is timely in meeting deadlines and accomplishing job functions.
- Serves as a role model in adhering to all pertinent policies and procedures.
- Maintains professional appearance and attire.
- Attentive to the needs of staff and helps them reach their fullest potential; highly ethical; acts as a role model; demonstrates acceptance of individual differences and encourages creativity in problem solving; uses influence to gain desired results and fosters a team environment.
- Demonstrates the ability to master new techniques or expectations and can adjust properly to a changing environment.
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Experience working with groups, parents and families, preferably in an urban setting
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain effective interpersonal relationships. Demonstrated ability to develop and implement creative and interactive lesson plans.
- Must possess ability to work with children of all ages; emphasis on infants to age 8.
- Demonstrated customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to cultural respect and understanding and value of diversity.
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities for accomplishing assigned work, implement action plans and meet deadlines. Is detail oriented, with strong organizational and record- keeping skills. Flexibility to adapt and change as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education
- Demonstrated experience in North Omaha or similar setting, working directly within early childhood or elementary education.
- Resourceful in approach to planning and accountability for accomplishing goals and objectives. Well-versed in the principles of early childhood education and family engagement.
- Is inclusive and collaborative in leadership style and involves those who will be affected by the decision-making process.
- Brings a passionate commitment and high energy level to his/her work in supporting the success of young children and their families
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job the employee is required to work in a stationary position for extended periods of time; operate a computer and other office equipment, move about inside the office; frequently communicate with coworkers, vendors and members of the public. The employee is occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 20 pounds within and outside the organization.
The essential job duties detailed above is not an exhaustive list. Additional duties may be added, as necessary, or as assigned, by the Child Learning Supervisor.